Monday, April 9, 2007

Tiny Little Glass Blower









Ok. So I am sure that you are wondering why there are no women included on this page. The truth of the matter is, that I don’t know too many of my gender here. For the most part it seems that Turkish girls are not particularly interested in speaking to us, let alone becoming friends. That being said, there are a few splendid gals that have crossed my path, so they will make an appearance sooner or later-don‘t worry. Today, the honor of first lady goes to Burcu (pronounced Bur-jew). She is not only absolutely adorable, but she is crucial to my success in our glass blowing class. I speak very little Turkish (I’m trying) & both the professor & master craftsman that we work with speak almost no English. OK & blow are about it, so we rely heavily on hand gestures & body language. This is a particularly sticky problem when you are at beginner’s level & working with hot glass. Really, hot is a severe understatement. The temperature in the studio alone makes you feel like you’re in a sweat shop or possibly the Netherworld. When several classmates are busy on projects, molten balls of glowing, gelatinous goo are being whirled around on metal poles at every turn. One false move & I’m pretty sure you would feel like you were being swallowed up in hell fire. It is quite impressive to watch this tiny little girl throwing that stuff around like it is no big deal. Not to mention, it is a bit of a dirty, sweaty job & she always looks super chic & put together. Too cute! So, thank you Burcu for making my glass blowing experience more productive, enjoyable and most importantly, less life threatening :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.